An Interior Decorator’s Must Haves
As a Nashville interior decorator (I prefer the term decorator to designer—decorating is my true passion), many of my clients ask advice or referrals on where to go and what to do, not just for draperies, furniture and objects d’art, but where I buy my clothes, where I travel, restaurants I love…so every year I post a list of my favorite things. As a tastemaker of sorts, my obsession for fine things may be trivial, but oh so satisfying.
- My favorite TV show: Foyle’s War. Our family just switched to Apple TV from cable this fall, so we have enjoyed discovering shows we never knew before on Netflix. This one I can’t get enough of the costumes, vintage cars and the charming characters and murder in a small coastal English town.
- My favorite shirt: J. Hilburn. PLEASE, your husbands will thank me, check out their website. Bespoke (new buzzword in interior design) or custom-made shirts at a fraction of the cost you would pay retail. You can mix different fabrics, button stitching and even distressed buttons to a shirt tailored just for you. Every decorators (or fashionisto’s) dream.
- My favorite pet: A dog, of course! They are man’s best friend, after all. And the breed that is THE best accessory is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Darby is our family (and our business) mascot. He even blogs about design.
- My favorite local restaurant: Amerigo’s in Cool Springs. My wife and I are celebrating 20 years of marriage this year, and we have been dining there for most of those years. The mahogany, the oxblood leather upholstery and the BRASS (another huge trend), as well as Mary Beth at the bar are mainstays we love. There are no hipsters and it’s close to home…another bonus!
- My favorite weekend getaway: The Old Edwards Inn and Spa is the most charming respite found in Highlands, North Carolina. It’s worth the 6-hour drive just to have a drink in the library.
- My favorite song: Taylor Swift’s Blank Space. Have you seen the interactive video on YouTube? If you have you must have a pre-teen daughter too. It’s completely cool and Taylor’s outfits are AMAZING!
- My favorite car: My Audi A7 is like riding on a magic carpet. You just think about driving and it goes. I have never regretted that car.
I do have so many obsessions, it was hard to limit it to just seven, but of course, my greatest obsession is creating beautiful interiors for families. Seeing how they enjoy their home after we’re finished—it’s my favorite thing of all!